There are at least three things that Mitt Romney must bring up tonight if he wants to secure a definite win going into the last two weeks of the election.
- As the New York Post reported this weekend, President Obama’s intelligence groups were fully aware of what was happening on the ground in Libya as the events unfolded. According to the Post:
“[CBS News] reported that the drone and other reconnaissance aircraft observed the final hours of the hours-long siege on Sept. 11 — obtaining information that should have spurred swift action. But as Ambassador Christopher Stevens and three colleagues were killed by terrorists armed with AK-47s and rocket-propelled grenade launchers, Defense Department officials were too slow to send in the troops.”
Romney must calmly — but firmly — demand that Obama speak for this unfortunate lack of decision-making abilities on his part.
From the report:
“With three weeks to go in the campaign, Obama appears to be losing momentum, and now trails Romney by four percentage points among likely voters. That contrasts with his seven-point win over McCain in 2008. Given this shift in overall voter preferences, it follows that Obama will have lost support among at least some subgroups of the electorate. Those losses are not proportionate across all subgroups, however. He shed the most support among Southerners, college graduates, postgraduates, 30- to 49-year-olds, men, and Protestants. He also lost a moderate amount of support among whites, Easterners, women, and Catholics — while not building new support elsewhere.
UPDATE: The results are similar to what I expected, even given that this is nowhere near a scientific poll. An even split between 60% of respondents said that Biden or Ryan walked away with a win, while an even split between the remaining 40% said it was somewhere in between or it was a draw. Nobody won this debate, but Ryan was seen as measured and analytical, while Biden was seen as a disrespectful ass.[tweet 256590061896884224 align=”center”] [tweet 256590032238940160 align=”center”] [tweet 256590535886766080 align=”center”] [tweet 256585790421864448 align=”center”] [tweet 256591505551142912 align=”center”] [tweet 256591945781104640 align=”center”] [tweet 256592895237300224 align=”center”]
See the Storify article here.
Also, be on the lookout for a reader poll here on the blog during and after the debate. Leave your comments and tweet me @schuellerj, and I might just put them in a post-debate reactions story. You can easily be updated on when the poll goes up by signing up for email updates at the right-hand margin of the site.
We're about eight hours out from the veep debate tonight, and all the talk is already giving me butterflies.—
JR Schueller (@schuellerj) October 11, 2012
Watch. He is going to have to make a departure from CNBC because of these comments. No one can tell the truth on a mainstream network anymore without becoming a pariah.
UNEMPLOYMENT RATE FALLS TO 7.8%…
BUT THE NUMBERS ARE BOGUS
[tweet 254198154260525057 align=”center”]
Former GE CEO Jack Welch
Job growth remained tame in September, with the economy creating just 114,000 net new positions though the unemployment rate fell to 7.8 percent, the first time it has been below 8 percent in 43 months.
The report presented a slew of contradictory data points, with the total employment level soaring despite the low net number.
“The Night Liberalism Died” by Roger L. Simon. Courtesy of PJMedia.com. October 4, 2012.
It was a bad twentieth wedding anniversary night for Barack and Michelle Obama. Twenty-five should be better. No irritating debates to deal with. It won’t even be an election year. Maybe they can celebrate with a Mai Tai or two in their new beachfront home on Oahu.
All the networks agreed last night, even the court eunuchs on MSNBC, as did the polls and the focus groups, that Romney won the debate. Obama looked like a warmed-over version of Richard Nixon, shifty and evasive in his answers. But Nixon was always infinitely more prepared than our current president and considerably more informed.
The fuddy-duddy liberal choir of the mainstream media looked shell-shocked. But secretly some of them may actually be relieved. Anyone with an IQ in triple digits knows that Romney would be a better president than Obama with the country and the world in the situation they are. And that probably includes Obama himself, considering the level at which he debated.
If Romney is elected, dad would be back and they (the media) would get to be kids again, living la vida loca while protesting until blue in their collective faces everything Romney does in the coming years. They get to be “against the man” once more. They don’t have to defend the man, such as he is.